Bold beginnings and firm foundations - our vision for the Early Years
We are a school-based nursery for children from two years old who live in Coleshill and the surrounding areas, providing an inspirational early years education that is both accessible and affordable, where your children will be safe, cared for and stimulated within the school’s early years provision.
Evidence tells us that a successful early years experience is the cornerstone of a child's development, and that children who have been at our nursery as two year olds make rapid progress towards their early learning goals.
Success in reading, writing and mathematics - the building blocks for all other learning - is built on a strong foundation in the prime areas of learning, (namely communication and language, physical development and personal, social and emotional development), which begins in our nursery.
The nursery curriculum is based on learning through play and planned using the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework from birth to five.
We support the EYFS statement of aims: “Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child’s experiences between birth and age five have a major impact on their future life chances. A secure, safe and happy childhood is important, and good parenting and high quality early learning together provide the foundation children need to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow up.”
Through our nurturing yet structured curriculum, we aim to send children into Reception who are personally, socially and emotionally ready to learn – able and eager to take on increased challenges. Building on children’s previous experiences we will:
- Instill routines so that children feel safe, secure and happy as well as connected to the wider school community.
- Have high expectations of what children can achieve.
- Develop children’s confidence, concentration, resilience, perseverance and ability to listen and follow instructions.
- Build on children's innate enthusiasm for learning through play - balancing direct whole-class teaching, adult-led activities and child initiated play, which all contribute to a child’s learning.
We believe that when parents/carers and professionals work together, your child will achieve their full potential.
We forge supportive relationships with parents, beginning with home visits for new nursery children alongside parent consultations, effective communications channels and an open door policy where staff are always available to discuss any concerns.
(Please note, we will treat separated parents equally, unless there is a court order limiting an individual's exercise of parental responsibility.)
What we offer
We have a clear understanding of the different requirements of younger children new to a nursery setting and older children in their pre-school year, enabling us to offer a high standard of individual care and education. We therefore offer:
Ladybirds class - 2 and 3 year old provision in the Children's Centre building, featuring:
- A modern yet homely, purpose-built environment.
- Higher adult:child ratios, ensuring a smaller group, (maximum 16), which allows children to build strong relationships with their peers and the early years practitioners.
- Highly qualified, experienced and caring staff with a clear focus on supporting early speech, language and communication development.
Butterflies class - 3 and 4 year old pre-school provision in the main nursery room in school, featuring:
- A purpose-built early years environment for up to 30 children.
- A carefully planned, teacher-led curriculum building on the skills children have already learned, that will prepare them for moving into their Reception year at school.
- A continued focus on literacy, particularly through story telling topics and the teaching of phonics.
- Teaching through play with experiences planned to support children through the next steps in their learning.
Learning through play
We firmly believe children learn most effectively through a planned, playful curriculum. We think the most important skills we can teach your child are how to learn, so they are increasingly independent and making the most of every opportunity.
There are three characteristics of effective learning:
1. Playing and exploring - Children are finding out and exploring, playing with what they know and are willing to have a go at new things.
2. Active learning - Children are involved in what they are doing and concentrating, they keep trying and enjoy achieving what they set out to do.
3. Creating and thinking critically - Children have their own ideas, make links and choose ways to do things.
A part of the school
We believe one of our key strengths is being part of the school's vibrant Foundation Stage. We are run by the Governors of the school, under the direction of the Headteacher. The school was inspected by Ofsted in April 2015 as good, and we are proud to be an “good” Church of England school (SIAMS inspection report 2019). The Christian ethos of the school and the values for which we stand are apparent in every aspect of school life. We are however welcoming and open to those of other faiths or none. All children and their families are welcome, regardless of race, culture, gender, religion or disability.
Although there is no automatic guarantee of a place at the school when your child leaves Nursery, many of the children in the Reception class each September have transitioned from Nursery, fostering a sense of familiarity that helps the children settle in well and progress quickly on their learning journey.
The school’s aim has always been to create an enthusiasm for learning that lasts a lifetime, and we believe our Nursery gives children the best start!
Why choose our nursery
- We are lead by a qualified teacher, allowing us to have a strong focus on maths, phonics and literacy in addition to the opportunities children have to broaden and deepen their experience through art and music.
- Our Early Years Practitioners are highly qualified, experienced, kind, nurturing and well aware of their safeguarding responsibilities.
- We are proud of our enhanced “time to talk” award, which recognises our work in supporting children with their speech, language and communication development. Only 20 schools in Warwickshire have achieved this.
- We work very closely with our Reception teachers to ensure that all children are challenged and achieve outstanding results by the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
The pre-school nursery classroom benefits from fantastic indoor and outside facilities including:
- A bright and spacious classroom, with self-contained children’s toilets.
- A separate “quiet room” for small group sessions.
- Zoned play areas, including areas for dressing up, wet or messy play, snacks, reading, writing, role play and more.
- A fenced off play areas exclusively for early years children, containing a gazebo, stage area, wooden train, climbing frame and sandpit.
- An interactive white board and ICT facilities.
- A kitchen area for the safe and hygienic preparation of snacks.
The 2 and 3 year old class is based in the Children's Centre building on the school site, a purpose-built space designed specifically for young children which features:
- Two light and airy classrooms with facilities for water play, role play, sensory play, a home corner and more.
- An additional "quiet room" for small group work or sleeping children.
- Child and adult toilet facilities.
- A fully equipped kitchen.
- A covered outside area.
Come and visit!
We'd love to see you - please telephone 01675 463672 to make an appointment, or call in when you are passing. Our nursery staff will be pleased to show you around and answer any questions that you have.
Our outside learning environment...